- Swim lesson registration will be accepted either by mail, online, or walk-in at the Parks and Recreation Department for all lesson sessions until the registration deadline.
- Summer Registration Dates and Deadlines
- After each session deadline, you may register for the proceeding session only if there is space available and pay a $10 late fee. Registration after the deadline will only be accepted in person at the City Hall 1st Floor Customer Service Center – NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Registration is not accepted at any pool. Please do not show up at the pool expecting to be enrolled. If your child’s name is not on the roster, the pool staff will not allow them to participate in the class!
- If you plan to enroll in more than one session of swim lessons, we encourage you to register for the same level for the proceeding session. If the student passes to the next level during the initial session, please meet with the Director of Instruction on the last Thursday of lessons or call the Appleton Parks and Recreation Department to move the student into the next level. Class level advancements are not automatic!
Children in the Locker Room:
Children ages 5 and over are required to use their same gender locker room or
The pool temperature is maintained between 80-82 degrees Fahrenheit. Please note that Appleton Parks and Recreation does not control the water temperature at East or West Pools.
Outdoor Pool Lesson Policy:
Outdoor swim lessons are NOT CANCELLED due to rain or cold weather. Safety skills are taught at this time in the bathhouse.
Cash refunds will be granted if the request is made to Appleton Parks and Recreation prior to the third lesson. Please call 920-832-5905 to process your refund. There is a $10 processing charge for all refunds for each participant and session. If you choose, you can get a full credit back to your household account for use in future Parks and Recreation programs.
Parent viewing is allowed at the outdoor and indoor pools for all lessons. Parents or visitors are asked to remain seated in the designated parent viewing areas at all times and to not walk around the pool to take photos, etc. Parents are responsible for all children that are with them. Thank you for your cooperation.
Lockers are available at East, Erb and Mead Pools to secure your belongings. Please bring a lock for your locker or leave your valuables in your vehicle. Appleton Parks and Recreation is not responsible for lost or stolen items. Secured lockers are not available at West Pool.
- 6 months to 3 years of age
- Parents are in the water
- Builds swimming readiness by emphasizing FUN!
- Parents and children participate in several guided practices to learn water entry,
- Kicks, bubble blowing, water exploration, and more!
- Ages 3 to 4 without the aid of parents in water
- Emphasis on basic skill development
- Learn listening skills, independence, front and back floats, kicks, breath control, water entry, and more
- Be 3 by first day of class
- Ages 4 to 5 who have taken the Preschool class OR 5 year olds w/o previous lesson experience.
- Further develop skills learned in Preschool class. 4 and 5 year olds can enroll in Level 1 by passing this class.
Level 1: Introduction to Water Skills
- Children ages 4-5 must have taken the Kindergarten Intermediate class and passed.
- Children ages 6 & up may enroll in Level 1.
Students will learn basic water safety rules, how to use life jackets, submerging their mouth, nose and eyes, opening their eyes underwater, swimming on front and back using arm and leg actions, water safety skills, and front and back floats.
Level 2: Fundamental Aquatic Skills
- Students will learn about life jackets, water submersion, front and back glide, treading water, bobs and floats, front and back crawl, elementary backstroke, and jumping into deep water.
Level 3: Stroke Development
- Students will work on reaching assists, submerging and retrieving an object, front and back glide, front and back crawl, kneeling or standing dives (shallow dive progressions), rotary breathing, survival float, back float, and butterfly-kick and body motion.
Level 4a: Stroke Improvement
- Students will learn about diving, build on elementary backstroke skills, further develop their breaststroke kicks, feet-first surface dives, deep water bobs, treading water, and front and back crawl up to and beyond 50 yards.
Level 4b: Stroke Improvement II
- Students will be required to perform front and back crawl, elementary backstroke, introduction to breaststroke arms, introduction to the butterfly, treading water, introduction to sidestroke, and various safety skills.
Level 5: Stroke Refinement
- Students will learn how to use survival swimming techniques, standing dives, front and back crawl, tuck surface and pike surface dives, front and backstroke flip turns, elementary backstroke, butterfly, breaststroke and sidestroke.
Level 6: Swimming and Skill Proficiency
- Students will strive towards the perfection of all strokes taught in the Learn to Swim Program as well as lifeguard readiness, swimming endurance, dives, and fitness swimming.
Special Needs Beginner Class
- To provide quality swimming instruction to maximize individual swimming potential.
- For children that have mild to moderate disabilities.
- Instructors will work with students based on their abilities.
- Smaller, more intimate class setting
Diving Instruction – SUMMER – Mead Pool
- Students will work on diving essentials such as front approach, front dive, twists, back approach, back dives, back somersault, and 3 meter falls and dives
Teen/Adult Swim Lessons – FALL ONLY
- Whether you are just learning how to swim or want to refine your skills, this is the class for you! The primary objective of the teen/adult swim lessons is to provide safe, enjoyable aquatic skills that will enhance the overall quality of the participant’s life.
Log Rolling – Erb Pool
- Join this new and exciting class as we teach your child the basics of the time honored tradition of log rolling! All classes will focus on technique, safety, and skill progression all under the supervision of trained instructors. You don’t want to miss out on this new class! For ages 8 and up.