Our challenge is complete! Check out his highlight reel of some of our Park Explorers!
Accept the Challenge: Explore all of our Amazing Appleton Parks in 2021!
We are extremely proud of our park system and want to motivate individuals, families, and friends to take some time to explore and be active in our parks. During the past year of uncertainty, we have seen more people look to outdoor spaces for recreation. It is our goal to provide programs that enhance the social, cultural, and physical well-being or our community, so we created a challenge to see how much ground you can cover from May 1 to September 30 of 2021.
“Be an Appleton Park Explorer” was inspired by our friends, Blake and Keith (see story below), and will challenge individuals/families/friends in the Fox Valley to explore and learn more about our city’s parks while being active and having fun. Missions will include taking pictures, answering questions, capturing videos of activities, and much more! They will be easily captured in the GooseChase app sponsored by SCHEELS®. We can’t wait to see members of our community accept the challenge and spend time in our parks.
HOW IT WORKS:
- Register for this FREE program by clicking the button below. ONLY ONE MEMBER OF THE FAMILY/TEAM NEEDS TO REGISTER.
- Please note that this challenge can be completed as an individual, but may need a selfie stick or tripod to help you capture you completing some of the missions. It will be easier if you have an extra person to help collect the photo/video evidence.
- On your registration receipt, there will be a game code. Download the Game Instructions and it will explain how to download the GooseChase app and where to put the game code.
- Missions will populate in the app starting at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, May 1, 2021, and will be available until September 30, 2021. You can start anytime in any location!
- There are 3-9 different missions per park based on the size of the park and include answering questions regarding things at the park, taking pictures with park landmarks and completing videos of specific activities.
- Each mission will have a point value and we challenge you to rack up as many points as possible!
- Special BONUS missions will be added during specific times of the summer such as Kick Off Weeks, Children’s Week and SCHEELS® Walking Club Events.
- As participants hit different point levels, they will be entered in a drawing for prizes. You don’t need to complete them all to be entered for prizes.
- Certificates will be given to those who complete all the park missions and will be named an Ultimate Appleton Park Explorer!
About Blake and Keith….
After taking the City of Appleton’s Appycademy Class, Keith learned about the many beautiful parks the city maintains. So he set a goal to take his son, Blake who was 6 at the time, to every City of Appleton park that summer.
Here’s what Keith said when the summer was over:
“So we did it! Blake and me explored all 29 city of Appleton parks this summer. We even visited Reid Golf Course, the staff at the parks and recreation department, City Council and Mayor Tim Hanna (Blake calls him the big cheese 🧀). We have so many great memories that will last us a lifetime. My goal was to get Blake off the iPad and out to get some exercise. However I got so much more than that. We learned how to appreciate nature, geography and how to have fun. Even when I thought Blake was getting sick of going to the parks the very last park we visited which was Einstein Park we played the longest and had the most fun at.”